Saturday, August 7, 2010

Constructive Criticism

It's a very good thing to get as a writer (and basically any other profession really). Right now, a very good friend of mine is sharing her thoughts and concerns about my story. It's so helpful to know what sucks and how to fix it because that's how you make it better. It was funny actually - she apologized beforehand for her bluntness because I told her to just go crazy in terms of what I needed to fix. Because I knew there was a lot that needed fixing. No lies. A LOT. And now I'm planning for the second draft and how to make that one better than the first. Because Ernest Hemmingway was correct. First drafts of anything are...well, crap.

I'm beginning to think that three months is a little too long to wait since I don't have that much time to kill. My parents are still a little less than pleased about my career choice and are subtly hinting at kicking me out. It's ah...an interesting home life. But I'm surviving. :) I'm also anxious to start rewriting since I have an idea of what to fix. For the first seven or so chapters, at least. But I'll hold out until the end of next week.

I think whoever said that writing the first draft of a book was hard is right. My thing was just getting the story out on paper (or the computer screen) - that's what kept me up at night, haunting me because I knew what I wanted to say, I just didn't want to write it out. Which is why quite a few chapters are so poorly written - I was just writing it to get it written. Kendall (my critiquing friend) was telling me that the dialogue for one scene was really awkward and was all "who says that?" and in my mind I was thinking "that was one of those scenes." It made me smile. But she was right. Again. :) I mean, after I had sent the manuscript out, I reread a few pages and that was one of them and I honestly cringed. I thought to myself, "I wrote that?" And not in a good way.

So. It may be hard to take criticism, but it's TOTALLY worth it. It makes you a better writer (or whatever) and knowing your weaknesses helps you to overcome them. Like, for example, I am not subtle. AT ALL. It was pointed out. In quite a few instances. And now I know what to do to fix that. Was it hard to hear? A little. But how else am I going to learn? :)

Until next time,

Ashley the neat-freak with a messy room

"This woman is about as subtle as a gun." ~ Andrew Paxton, The Proposal

No comments:

Post a Comment