Thursday, August 5, 2010

Peer Support

You know, I took a rather nasty figurative beating last night in terms of my book. My parents are still unsupportive of my writing and it's not going to get any better probably. But my friend Tara Bennit helped me out later that night by saying that it doesn't much matter that they don't appreciate what I do - just about all my friends are dying to read even just the terrible first draft, which means a lot because it shows that they support me in the way I wish my parents would. And she was right in saying that I have enough peer support not to give up on this crazy dream of mine. She also told me that when I get published I have every right to say "I told you so." :)

So if anyone's reading this, just know that even if your parents don't approve of how you want to live your life, know that you aren't alone. It may be more difficult but it will all be worth it in the end. If I decided to give up every time my parents said I was wasting my time, I'd never have made it past the prologue. And here I am, a prologue, 19 chapters and an epilogue later with just enough drive to keep on pushing forward.

Until next time,

Ashley the Dreamer

"If I may lend a machete to your intellectual thicket." ~ Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean

No comments:

Post a Comment